This is a quick blogpost about an easy tech integration opportunity for Grade 4 Reading Workshop. Though the timing of this Unit may have already passed, there are still plenty of opportunities to use this tool to support student learning.
READING WORKSHOP GRADE 4: UNIT 2
BOXES AND BULLETS: PERSONAL AND PERSUASIVE ESSAYS
SESSION 10: READING VARIOUS TYPES OF TEXT
- Work with your librarian to collect nonfiction books about the weather (particularly weather that happens outside of your community so that students can develop a more global understanding).
- Setup a teacher account with Newsela.com (it works with a Google Single Sign-On)
- Students add themselves into the system with a link you provide them with. They’ll need to be reminded to log in with the Google Single Sign-On, if they have one.
- Assign students an article to read related to weather.
- You can then assign students with a writing prompt via the website, to compare with a nonfiction book they read on the topic, or have them annotate and identify specific text features.
- Allow students to choose their own article to compare writing structures.
*Newsela operates on a Lexile system, here is the conversion chart for Fountas & Pinnell.
Setup time = 5-10 minutes
Delivery time = varies
CCSS RI.4.2, RI.4.5, RI.4.8, RI.4.9, W.4.7, SL.4.2
DSLO Communication, Critical Thinking, Content Knowledge
ISTE Knowledge Constructor